Sunday, May 17, 2009

the age-old face off

And the winner is.....Ahh, you'll have to read on. The face-off. The battle of the peanut butter brands. Yup, that's what this is about. Peanut butter. That's cause if you know me, you know that a day doesn't pass that peanut butter and I don't have some kind of interaction. And blessedly, I am married to a man that loves a spoonful of peanut butter as much as I do.
You can imagine my delight in discovering natural peanut butter that wasn't gritty, oily and needed overly stirred upon every use. About 2 years ago, we discovered Skippy Natural. And natural it is. It has four ingredients. Four, really. Roasted Peanuts, Palm Oil, Sugar and salt. No hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup. And it is ah-mazing. Peanut lover heaven. Some health freaks get all fired up about the fact that it isn't really "natural" as it isn't just peanuts. But if you ask this highly refined pb lover taster, it's worth every penny.


Imagine my consternation as I entered the pb aisle at Target and found the Skippy Natural to be sold out. Jif has apparently picked up on the success of 'natural', and has added it's own to the mix. So, we threw it in the cart to try it out. (by the way, also threw in some archer farms blue corn tortilla chips with flaxseed - YUM!) It has five ingredients - the same ones as SN, but an added fifth of molasses. I am pleased with the pb, but it is runny and it does actually need to be stirred to get everything all blended. It's tasty, but a little sweeter and not as 'nutty'. It's worth it, if you can't get the Skippy.


So, my winner is.....Skippy :o)

1 comment:

marion said...

Good. That's what I like too... but I hadn't actually had the face-off in my house. :) Now, I won't need to.