Thursday, January 20, 2011

neighbors, family, yourself

(a conglomerate of stuff and pictures that I figured out how to put into one post…. ;o)

Inside.  I know.  I could be outside freezing cold, but I choose to be inside.  Plus it is is just gross outside.  Too wet to roll in the snow, not warm enough to be without a coat. We do go out; because if you know us, I can’t handle being cooped up too long.IMG_3183     And when we come inside, I want to be like Anna, and I want to do this…(her new favorite warm up spot; curled up in a blanket)IMG_3192 I’m trying my best to avoid my winter “slump” by staying busy with fun things inside.  So I bring you….neighbors, family, yourself.

We’ve enjoyed baking a lot together the past few weeks.  I should say, we like to bake all of the time, and have for a while.  But oddly enough, while we enjoy the process, we don’t always want to eat the results (even though they are delicious!), it is often too much.  So here comes the “neighbors.”IMG_3193 We like to share our creations with our neighbors and I meant to do something for Christmas wishes, but ran out of time.  So we baked up some yummy fudgy mint chocolate chip cookies (yup, they are like the ice cream in a cookie form) and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.  The kids helped in all processes and we made up a bunch of plates complete with some delicious clementines we got at market….put the plates on a sled with some little people and delivered love.IMG_3194 FAMILY:  I like crafts.   Always have.  Always will.  Creating is fun.  When I taught, my team would ask me for art ideas because they knew I liked hands on crafts and creativity.  And we have a rockin’ art cart (not really an cart, we just like to say that – it’s a cabinet) that is stuffed with odds and ends perfect for “kre-ay-shions”.IMG_8491

Hudson had to make a snowman for school as a family project, so we made Anna her own little guy and we sat together using a large assortment of goodies to be-dazzle their creations.  And lest you would think that Anna’s snowman is a boy with mean eyebrows (as her brother did), she will correct you and let you know it is a girl, A PRINCESS SNOWGIRL, with earrings and a crown.

 IMG_8486 IMG_8488 

These were not made from nothing – although they turned out super cute.  I found ornaments at a local store for a dollar and I loved watching Hugs and Banana choose their placement for their pieces (one wanted to look at the picture, the other had fun with “free” flow artistic impression. :)Photo-0058These beauts are from Home Depot’s Kid’s Workshop Saturdays.  Which in the year of 2011, they are doing them the first Saturday of every month.  This day Anna built a picture frame with Daddy and Hudson built a race car with Mommy. Photo-0059 YOURSELF:

Make yourself a winter feast for the eyes and give your kids something to do.  (Thanks Kimmie!)  IMG_8483

My visually artistic husband loves the colors in this.  I like that it still looks kinda Christmas-y and could transition to Valentine’s Day when I have my kids design some hearts for it (sure to be sparkly!)  This was a super easy craft that Kim told me about…she explained it over the phone as she had seen it in a store and thought it would be something we both could manage.

IMG_8484

Grab some of your favorite colors.  I was going to start with lots of white, red and a little black, but when I got to the fabric store, I found three reds I couldn’t do without.  You need:

-1/4 yard black

1/3 yard of each of the reds

1 yard of white

jute long enough for your desired garland

scissors

IMG_8485

I used my quilter’s mat and rotary cutter and sliced up the fabric into 6 inch wide “columns”.  Then I put a small slice every inch to inch and a half (I eyeballed) and handed them to Hudson.  He’d rip them into pieces for me.  He really enjoyed this!

I left about 1 foot at the end of my jute rope and started tying.  Tie away in a funky haphazard pattern (if you’re like me), or pick a pattern you like (if you are a bit more on the organized and Type A-side :o).  I just went with what felt looked fun and funky.  This project took nearly no time and I had enough fabric left over that I am sending it to Kim to get a start on hers.

And that is it for “neighbors, family, yourself”.  Thanks for hangin.

6 comments:

Knocker Boys said...

I like the garland. How did you attach it to your mantel?

Unknown said...

honestly? hehehee....I had just took down those cool stik-me-upand-take-me-down-easy hooks from 3M....so i used white duct tape. Yup, I'm a redneck. It matches, it's hidden and you can't see it!

Homeschooling Momtographer said...

Hi Beth!
You commented on my blog today so I clicked over to check out your blog and you looked so familiar...

Then I put it together! I know you're family in NJ. I go to Joy. :) Small world!

~Catherine
P.S. Yes, the Lightscoop is SO much fun! You'll love it!

Tracy Watanabe said...

I want to visit you so much! (Of course, a heating pad, 80 degree house, car, and door to door transport would be required).

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Love the cookies for your neighbors. Great idea and a good way to get to know the neighbors. Missed ya on Saturday. Hope you are feeling better!
Shawna

Alusco said...

Great idea Beth, thanks for sharing.