Thursday, October 21, 2010

to touch…

Have you ever really contemplated the reality, the meaningfulness of human touch?  I mean really, can you imagine going a whole day without touching another human being?  My days would not be complete – well, there are some days when I wish I wasn’t being touched so much by little hands ;o) 

Touch to the human encourages physical and emotional growth.  Scientific studies have shown that human touch is so important that without touch, infants’ growth is slowed and stunted.  Other studies have shown that the power of human touch, just the gentle touch, encourages the body to heal!

This morning I meant to read all of 1 John, but got stuck on the first chapter, first verse.  I think it is AMAZING....this part anyway....

1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.   (1 John 1:1)

John wasn't just reporting.  He wasn't just doing the job of a journalist.  He saw it...yea, ok – he was a firsthand eyewitness.  He looked at Him...yea, ok – I can look at the President if I stand on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue long enough.  BUT HIS HANDS TOUCHED?  I got this overwhelming sense of longing to touch Jesus...longing and wishing I could've been there too to touch, to see, to hear.  It's coming.  But may my heart yearn - for that is when I will remember to seek after Him whole-heartedly….and be grateful for His touch on my life daily.

No comments: