Thursday, September 2, 2010

hearing His voice….

When you have a decision to make and believe either choice is glorifying to God, it can be tough!A very wise friend and woman who has walked with my “teacher” in all seasons of life shared this verse with me recently……

You will hear your Teacher's voice behind you. You will hear it whether you turn to the right or the left. It will say, "Here is the path I want you to take. So walk on it." Isaiah 30:21 (NIRV)

I had to dive into this passage and understand it. Just that verse made me want to read more and find out what was going on in the chapter that these words were written.

The passage is about Israel's obstinance - their refusal to listen to God calling them back to him. He is constantly trying to get their attention, yet they refuse to walk from their sin into His arms. It is amazing. They are so stubborn that they even tell the seers and prophets to stop because they don't want to hear it anymore - they want to wallow in their sin. (disgusting)

There are times when I wallow like the Israelites. I know there are. You know. The times when you purposefully set aside what you know what is right to do what is wrong – like self-pity? Anger? Holding a grudge against someone? Relational discord? But eventually I come around. At least I hope I do….I pray I do.

And the verse? The verse put contextually made me appreciate it even more. Because simply put, I desire to listen and the Israelites didn’t….and still He spoke. We just have to choose to follow or wallow.

Lord help me to walk on the path and listen to your voice.

No comments: