Wednesday, May 19, 2010

quotable: control freak

From Mark Batterson’s In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day:

“We want control, but the decision to follow Christ is a relinquishment of control.  Following Christ is letting Jesus take the wheel…..What I’m trying to say in a nice way is this: We’re control freaks. 

                    But faith involves a loss of control.  

And with the loss of control comes the loss of certainty.  You never know when a five hundred pound lion may cross your path.  And faith is the willingness and readiness to embrace those uncertainties.”

And if you want to know what the 500 pound lion thing is, read the book.  It’s worth it.

1 comment:

TheLab said...

My best friend just told me about this book. Looks like I really need to pick it up, now! Thanks for posting the quote - excellent one. It will stick with me.