Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Carnitas time!

IMAG0438We love carnitas in this house.  9 times out of 10, if we go out for Mexican, Chris will order carnitas and polish the whole thing off without a second glance.

So, when I realized that I could utilize the large hunks of pig sitting in my deep freeze to make this delightful pork dinner, I was in.  (About that – well, Grandmom kindly had a pig butchered from a friend IMAG0437and local farmer for us…actually, the farmer-friend is my OB that delivered Hadleigh…they had pigs and offered one to us.  So would I call her my OB-Farmer-Friend?  Wow, I officially feel like I’ve made the jump back into rural living with those few sentences.)

I’ve made it a few times, refined it and this is the *final* product. (I reserve all rights to change it for rarely do I follow a recipe exactly and I always change things to make them a bit more to our liking).IMAG0436IMAG0435Slow Cooker Carnitas

  • 5-6 pound Pork Roast/Pork Butt
  • 1 t. chipotle powder
  • 1 t. ground black pepper
  • 1 t. garlic salt
  • 1 t. oregano
  • ½ t. cinnamon
  • ½ t. curry
  • ½ cup salsa
  • 1 can green chiles
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 onion quartered
  • ½ cup water/soda/broth

Combine all spices and rub on the washed and patted dry roast. Place the roast in the slow cooker with the chiles, lime, onion, water, and salsa poured on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Turn off and cool. Shred with 2 forks and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle reserved juice from the slow cooker on top of the pork. Roast in a 400 degree oven until tips begin to get crispy (10-15 minutes). Drizzle a bit more of the juice on top of the roast.

Serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, cheese, lettuce and LOTS OF HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE! Side of Pineapple and Mango is great with it.

=======================================

IMAG0434Hadleigh got in on the goodness too – she had baby “guacamole” while we feasted on the real stuff.  She didn’t care.  She liked her version.

No comments: