Thursday, March 1, 2012

YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!

IMG_0589

Yeah – I’m sharing a picture of soup.  Yes, it was DELISH!  No, it is not because I have crazy hormones running through my veins right now (although the fact that my mouth waters looking at that picture may suggest as such).  My family loved this recipe too – so when we come across a fantastically mouth-watering recipe for soups (or stoups as I often make them into – we like them hearty), I’ve got to share!

Panera Bread Knock-off Broccoli Cheese Soup   (reduced fat from original version)

The original recipe can be found here.  I’ve made a few changes to make it reduced fat and added a TON more veggies to make it thicker…my changes are in italics.

I’m guessing this makes about 5 servings.  My husband had three bowls and the rest of us about 1.5….with a serving leftover.

1 T of butter

1/2 a medium onion

1/4 cup melted butter

1/4 cup of flour

2 cups fat free half and half

3 cups chicken stock (low fat/no fat)

3 huge heads of broccoli

1 cup of chopped carrots (I made have added more)

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

10 oz reduced fat 2% sharp cheddar cheese

salt and pepper

1.  Saute onion in 1 T. butter.  Set aside.

2.  Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.

3.  Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.

4.  Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.

5.  Add salt and pepper .Used my immersion blender to smooth it out – still kept large chunks, though!   Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.

Serve with crusty bread and strawberry applesauce jello (well, that’s what we did!)

----------------------

And these pictures are just for your viewing pleasure – Dr. Anna was taking care of patient Hudson today after he conked his head on a table downstairs.

Prepping with sterile gloves……

IMG_0584

Assessing the patient; stethoscope and sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff for you commoners).

IMG_0586

Making sure Hudson is still alive…..carefully moving the ouchy sock to take important measurements.

IMG_0588

No comments: