Tuesday, January 29, 2013

snowflake playdough

January is long.  January is dark.  January stinks. January usually makes me wish I still lived in a warm weather climate.  January makes me pull myself up by my boot straps and come up with things that will make me a happy mommy with happy kids that aren’t bored from being stuck inside.

IMG_2372

So when I came across this gem of an idea, I went with it.  Having fun with playdough around here.  Snowflake playdough to be exact.

I went with my own variation (of course, because when do I ever really follow all the directions? :o) and we came up with this fun conglomeration of ooey gooey sparkly hands-on delightfulness.

It’s your basic salt playdough recipe (2 cups flour, 2 cups water, 1 cup salt, 1 T Cream of Tartar, 2 T vegetable oil – cooked at medium until it forms a ball and then let to cool on a heat proof surface.)  But this is where it gets fun….

IMG_2369

Cool it a bit and then put it in a baggie. Add a bit of blue food coloring (because Anna wanted her snow to be blue) and a ‘goodly’ amount of glitter.  I also dropped in a bit of almond extract to make it smell yummy (it’s winter, I don’t have kool-aid).  Let your helpers wiggle, jiggle and shake that bag.  (After a bit, I put it on the counter and kneaded it thoroughly.) IMG_2371

Play and have fun.  Simple and enjoyable.

And now for the obligatory cute growIMG_2374ing baby shots.IMG_2376

No comments: